Sunday, June 13, 2010

Need by Carrie Jones

What's on the back of the book:
Pain shoots through my head.
Fireworks. Explosions. All inside my brain.
The white world goes dark and I know what's
about to happen.

Zara White suspects a freaky guy is stalking her. She memorizes phobias and chants them when she's nervous. OK, she hasn't exactly been herself since her stepfather died. But moving to a freezing Maine town to stay with her grandmother is supposed to be the perfect fix - so her mum says.
Except, this plan of sending Zara away to help her stay sane? Yeah, not working. Turns out the stalker is not a figment of Zara's imagination. He's still following her, leaving behind an eerie trail of gold dust. There's something not right - not human - in this sleepy Maine town, and all signs are pointing to Zara.

A piece from the book:
The best thing about crying is that it always knocks me out. I slept really well last night, even with the stupid dogs howling around midnight or so. It's a good thing I'm not cynophobic because I would have freaked all night.
It's quiet now.
The snow muffles the outside world and when my alarm goes off there is no way I want to get up and face it. Grandma Betty's house is just to safe and cozy, especially my bed. Still, I haul my tired butt up to look out the window. Snow covers everything and it's . . . what? The middle of October.
"This is just wrong," I announce and pull the lace curtains all the way open. The strange white light that snow reflects drifts into my room.
It's breakfast and I'm by my lonesome. Grandma Betty left me a huge note in the middle of the table, right by a water mark that looks just like South Carolina. I swallow and touch where Charleston would be. Then I check out the note:

Zara . . . I'm off to the station. A logging
truck jackknifed on Route 9. Minor injuries.
There is still school. You didn't prey hard
enough. Better luck next time. Ha-ha. All
juniors have PE so make sure you take
clothes. Drive careful. It's slippery out.
Here's a map. It's a pretty straight shot. Do
not drive after dark. I'll be home by
nightfall. Knock them dead. The keys are
right here. -------->

She drew an arrow pointing at the keys, next to the note on the table, like I'd miss them.
I scoop them up and dangle them in the air. One catches at the string around my finger. It's getting loose.




No comments:

Post a Comment