Thursday, June 10, 2010

Mean Spirits & Young Blood (The Mediator Books 3 & 4) by Meg Cabot

What's on the back of the book:
'A date, with the boy I actually like,
would be nice. But do I get dates?
Oh, no. What do I get instead? Ghosts.'

Susannah Simon has a secret: she can see and talk to the dead, and she is tasked with helping ghosts to cross over into the afterlife even if some of them are not so willing to go. When four vengeful high-school students rise from the grave to wreak havoc on the living, Suze faces her toughest challenge yet. Meanwhile . . . Suze has fallen dead-over-heels for smouldering spook Jesse and, while trying to discover how he passed away, she unearths some deadly secrets . . .

A piece from the book - Mean Spirits:
The person ahead of me stepped up to the cashier, and I moved into her place. Michael moved, too, only he went a little too far, and ended up colliding with me. He said, 'Oh, I'm sorry,' and backed up.
'That's okay,' I said. I began to wish, even if it had meant risking a brain hemorrhage, that I'd stayed with Gina.
'Your hair,' Michael said in a soft voice, 'smells really good.'
Oh, my God. I thought I was going to have an aneurism right there in line. Your hair smells really good? Your hair smells really good? Who did he think he was? James Bond? You don't tell someone their hair smells good. Not in a mall.
Fortunately, the cashier yelled, 'Next,' and I hurried up to pay for my purchase, thinking that by the time I turned around again, Michael would be gone.
Wrong. So wrong.

A piece from the book - Young Blood:
So when I turned out the light that night, it was with a definite sense of satisfaction. I was, I felt, well protected from anything Maria might pull. I had with me beneath the covers a veritable arsenal of weapons, including an axe, a hammer, and something I could not identify that I had taken from Andy's workshop, but which had evil-looking spikes on it. Furthermore, I had Max the dof with me. He would, I knew, awaken me as soon as anything otherworldly showed up, being extremely sensitive to such things.
And, oh, yes, I slept in Doc's room.
I know. I know. Cowardly in the extreme. But why should I have stayed in my own bed and waited for her, like a lame duck, when I could sleep in Doc's bed and maybe throw her off the scent? I mean, it wasn't like I was looking for a fight or anything. Well, except for the whole not-doing-a-thing-she-said-thing. I guess that was sort of indicative of looking for a fight. But not, you know, actively.
Because, I have to tell you, while ordinarily I might have gone out looking for Maria de Silva's grave, so I could just, you know, have it out with her then and there, this was a little different. Because of Jesse. Don't ask me why, but I just didn't think I had it in me to go and rough up his ex, the way I would have if she didn't have this connection to him. I can't say I'm really used to waiting for ghosts to come to me . . .
But this. This was different.

No comments:

Post a Comment